Seriously I Do!!!






"God has a solution that, if we adopt it, will revolutionize our relationships. While many people fight to receive respect, Christian marriage calls us to focus our efforts on giving respect. We are called to honor someone even when we know only too well their deepest character flaws. We are called to stretch ourselves, to find out how we can learn to respect this person with whom we've become so familiar." -from Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

Uh-Oh!! I am beginning to think God used this whole blogger thing as a ruse to get to me to work on my marriage?! I found an awesome blog on marriage. I love my husband! Seriously, I do!!I know some of you are saying, "Then why do you bicker all the time??!!" A wise therapist told us early on in our marriage that bickering is our love language : ) Well not sure how wise she really was, however it helped us at the time! Now I am struggling with some "stuff" in my marriage. This "Marriage Monday" is a challenge straight from God & He knows I love a challenge. Just not sure how much "stretching" I am willing to do - it's painful!!! Maybe now is the time to share with you that the title of our wedding program was "From You'll Do to I Do!". The first time I met Jas he asked me to dance & I said "You'll Do!". So you see what God is dealing with here ; )
A prayer from the study...
"God of renewal, everywhere your Holy Spirit breathes new life into creation. As I undertake this day to bring glory to you by honoring my husband, I ask you to be present in my marriage. Guide me to know in which things I should ask forgiveness, in which things I should change, and in which things I should ask for the grace to let go. Show me new ways to respect my husband today and open my eyes to all that you have made him to be. I trust in your goodness and in the covenant my husband and I made with you and each other on our wedding day. Through Jesus Christ I pray, Amen."


This is a list from "Marriage Mondays", am I sooo CHALLENGED....
~Throughout each day, put aside negative words and bring good to your husband by words and actions.
~Notice things he does for you and your family and show your appreciation.
~Compliment him.
~Speak well of him in public, both in his presence and when he is not with you.
~Give him the opportunity to be your hero and praise his masculinity.
~Tell your children (if you have them) how wonderful their daddy is.
~Accept his decisions with grace and really support them, even if you don't fully agree.
~If you have a disagreement, show respect by maintaining a pleasant tone of voice and eye contact.
~Serve him first at the dinner table. Don't be insincere, but surprise him by withholding a typical negative reaction in favor of a God-honoring one.
Check out this quote - "Maturity is the distance from the time of an offense to the time you seek forgiveness." Well I know I am sooo mature. I wait a LONG time to ask for forgiveness so that makes me REALLY mature right?! I know, I know, I'm just kidding...well sort of?!
Here's what I choose to work on this week:
*Talk in his love language
*Keep my opinion to myself
*Praise him in front of the children

Please join me in praying for our marriage. Hey while your at it, join me in "marriage mondays". Let me know if you're up for it & I'll pray for you as well. I'm excited by this challenge & fearful at the same time. I know God is in our home, relationship, life. I want to honor Him & my man...seriously I do!!!

Comments

  1. WOW!!! I love it! That is some wonderful info. I have been telling Missi that I really want to do a bible study on "The Excellent Wife", or something about being a Christian wife. Isn't that odd. These two books look very similar. Anyway, we know you love Jason and marriage takes a lot of work from both people. I'm sure you will both reap the benefits of this study. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right -- sometimes it is a big time challenge to the wife God intended us to be. Believe me -- it is well worth it--150%.
    I just used to 'just' love me man, but there is so much more -- honor and respect are the keys to his heart.
    I set out on a journey to become a better wife 2 years ago, and girl, has the Lord blessed our marriage -- far beyond my expectations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts