I Didn't Write the Editor


Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me yesterday!
We are still working on the situation, however Jman does get to attend the ice cream party.
I didn't write a letter to the editor ; )
My son has no clue that Bubba & I are talking to the school.
He did learn from his teacher yesterday that his mommy emailed her asking about why he was missing the party so she explained to him how he would be made to miss recess & write sentences while his classmates were eating ice cream.
As a mom I am well aware that some of my Jman's "issues" come from me...it hurts to write that one?!
As a former teacher I'm a little sensitive to the ridicule teacher's receive from our community.
As a parent of a public school student I am taken aback by the way our children are treated as numbers/statistics not an individual in their studies, discipline & schedules.
I am not speaking out to rescue my child from his choices or to show him Mommy & Daddy will override his teacher's choices.
I am speaking out because I see this situation as "double jeopardy". He payed for his crime. When I see injustice I speak out. Some may not always agree & that's ok.
I want to improve the situation for the next child as well as my children.
If parent's do not participate in their child's education they are leaving it to bureaucracy.
When did communicating, asking questions, getting involved become a "bad thing" for parents within the public school system?
I may be living in a Uptopia, however I really do believe that school & parents working together for student achievement can be a great thing in our community.
I am praying that my little man is not "labeled" & that we can be heard by the school without being viewed as difficult parents. I do realize that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar ; )
  • "Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

  • "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." -- Henry Brooks Adams

  • "What we want is to see the child in pursuit of knowledge, and not knowledge in pursuit of the child." --George Bernard Shaw
  • "The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
"My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments;
For length of days and years of life
And peace they will add to you.
Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favor and good repute
In the sight of God and man."
Proverbs 3:1-4

Comments

  1. So very proud of you for standing up for what is right.
    I so agree with your points!
    * Our kiddos do have to be accountable for their actions and choices. Hence the punishments that were justly assinged to Jman.

    * And, yes we should not / cannot question the authority of those in charge to undermine their authority...UNLESS it is protect them from unfairness or over zealousness.

    You absolutely did the correct thing in following through with a consequence at home to support the punishment at school. And you absolutely did the correct thing in questioning their continued punishment.

    I too am a former public school teacher and 9 out of 10 times will offer my support for the teachers when friends complain. Not so this time. It makes me sad to think a teacher (and principal) have reached a point they are dishing out double punishment and not stopping to consider the consequences of their own actions.
    I am glad and relieved Jman gets to partake in the reward he re-earned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things worked out for your son and I hope he has fun. Now he will get to experience
    the reward of hard work. My stepson went to our local minor league baseball teams game yesterday for his AR accomplishments. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is amazing that you are standing up and trying to be proactive. I too, have thought I am a difficult parent because I ask a ton of questions and I am continually trying new ways to teach my son when he does something at school... I actually asked his teacher recently if I was bugging her too much and she said she would rather all the parents do what I have been doing instead of what the majority do... nothing. Keep working and keep fighting, your a mommy who cares and that is important.

    Blessings,
    Ronel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that Jman gets to go to the party. My kids haven't started school yet, but I think that it is wonderful that you are involved. I honestly believe that we set our children up for success when those that are responsible for educating our children both at home & at school work together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts