Where I Come From - RHOK

"Where I come from it's cornbread and chicken
Where I come from a lotta back porch pickin'
Where I come from tryin' to make a livin'
Workin' hard to get to heaven
Where I come from..."
Alan Jackson
I come from a long line of country folk so Alan's song resonates with me. As an Okiegirl I believe there are some things about me that let ya know where I come from...

1. I can ride a horse - Seriously! Horseback Riding, either English or Western, gives girls all sorts of skills.
    Poise, confidence, balance, strong muscles & above all skills in knowing you can control a huge animal
    w/the flick of wrist, squeeze of the knees or click of the tongue. Coincidentally these skills translate well 
    into marriage & motherhood!

2.  I make a mean Sweet Tea - There is an art to sweet tea. Not everyone knows the secret to making it  
    right. If you know the secret go give your momma or grandma a kiss for raising you right!
3.I <3 Jesus- My home state is affectionately called the "Biblebelt". I didn't always love Jesus. There was quiet     while in my life where I questioned His existence & didn't think of Him at all. Some of you may think everyone here knows & loves Him. Not true. Okie's are a diverse group of folks. I have friends who will think I'm a little off for even posting this paragraph. I have other friends who will think the paragraph isn't long enough.This is the cool part - we can all get along & love each other anyway which brings me to my next point.
 
4. I say Ya'll. - It's not "you guys" or "you people. It's "Hey Ya'll!" I love my Ya'lls.; I wouldn't trade 'em for anything! My Ya'lls are the best!

5.  I can spot a fake a mile off. It's a skill that takes practice. It might be a fake Coach bag or a Rolex. Could also be a women's hair color or a painting on a wall. The worst fakes are the people who worm their way into your life under false pretenses. It's taken me a long time, but I can now spot those fakes too. As my Grandma told my Hubby, "Okies don't take to a strange horse right off. They gotta check him out. Make sure he's all right. That he won't buck them off or bite 'em when they aren't lookin'!" Now you do remember my Hubby's a Yankee right?!

6. I'm a loyal & would do anything for my friends. Listen, most native Okies are intensely loyal. Just look at our sports fans around here! I see my roots showing when a friend is in need or has been hurt. I'm there w/smile or a shovel - whichever is needed most at the time.
 I was inspired to post by Real Housewives of Oklahoma. Go check out their blog, it RHOK's!!!

Comments

  1. LOL! Loved this Jen!

    And, I so want some of that sweet tea. I LOVE sweet tea.

    I like horseback riding as well.

    And, I'm pretty sure only a Jenks girl could tell a knock-off. This Pryor girl wouldn't even care. LOL!!

    Great post! I'm so glad you played along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably going to have my Okie membership revoked for saying this, but I haven't a clue about how to make sweet tea. I should have you teach me!

    Thanks for playing!

    ~~Mrs. McGillicutty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked out the RHOK, but not so sure I'll fit in there. You know. Because I am not a housewife. Well, I am, but I also do other things. Like work outside the home. Which means I am not REALLY a housewife, even though I have all those duties too. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss M - We will have to post the proper way to make sweet tea to remedy this injustice! You'll be a proper Okie Housewife before you know it! Now if only if only we could get you in a vintage, frilly apron ; )
    Maria - RHOK is for every woman; wife, mom, sister, daughter, aunt or girlfriend. We all share something in common...estrogen understanding! Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn - Jenks girls don't get into physical altercations. We use our higly honed fashion eye to keep those posers in their place! I am shocked you don't make sweet tea?! I thought everyone from Pryor made sweet tea?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I CAN make sweet tea. But, I'm sure it's not the BEST sweet tea. I prefer to drive through CFA or Burger Street to get it. LOL!

    And, I KNOW how to give THE EYE. I'm just not sure it's the same eye you're talking about it. Haha!

    So glad you are blogging again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts