Where Were You April 19, 1995 - The RHOK McLinky Monday

As an Okiegirl this day has special significance in my life. It was the first time I truly felt horror & panic in my world. Today is the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. It was horrific. I'm beginning to cry just thinking about it. The bomb was left in a truck parked outside a government building & exploded at 9:02am. In the building there was the daycare full of children just settling in to circle time, the dad just getting to his desk, the mom making copies, the grandma about to retire in 3 days, the sister planning a b-day party....it's those images that strike my heart & soul.
I was teaching in Texas on that day.Our principal got word out & gave instructions to keep the info they told me minimal as I was from Oklahoma. It was surreal. I remember feeling so far from my family & friends. I immediately got on my cell phone & started calling. I couldn't get through to my dear friend. She worked a few miles from the bomb site. The calls did not go through all day. The news reports were sadistic. I had a young boy in my class, John Michael, whose father worked for the Department of Education. He was scheduled to be in a meeting in the building that morning. No one could reach him. It was shear terror. My friend & the father of my student were unharmed physically. Emotionally struck, but alive.
I went to bomb site a few month later. It was an emotional experience. I was there with two Texas friends & they were moved. There was a tall fence around the site perimeter with cards, flowers, signs, stuffed animals placed all in the fence. Buildings were not touched. It was like it was stuck in time. The site was eerily quiet.
It was cathartic to see the site in that state on some level.

Now there is a serene memorial built on the site.

Unfortunately this terrorist act was not the last in our country. You can visit the memorial site on-line -
Oklahoma City National Memorial .This year marks the 15th Anniversary of the day the world began to look at terrorism differently. It's imperative that we discuss the importance of remembrance and using objects to teach history for the generations
"Tell your children about it, let your children tell their children and their children another generation." -Joel 1:3
Check out other stories at The RHOK...

Comments

  1. I was student teaching and I don't think we said a word about it to any of the students.
    Glad you posted with us today.
    ~Mrs. Priss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that verse!!! Thanks for including it and thanks for linking up! ♥Mrs. Hart♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us today. 15 years hasn't changed how real that day was by any means...

    ~~Mrs. Nesbitt

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful verse to but with this story - it is so true -we all learn from the past! It is amazing how several of us okie's remember the panic of not being able to reach loved ones by phone that day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the verse. We have to remember and we have to share what we remember with the next generation, in hopes that something like this doesn't happen again....at least, prayerfully, it won't happen again here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, great verse!!

    I'm so proud to be an Oklahoman. We really will NEVER forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and I have to agree with the rest, great quote.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts