Mourning Mother's Day

For some, Mother's Day is not a day of flowers, cards and celebrations. Today I am reminded of those families that are mourning.
Mourning a loss of their mother or child.
Mourning infertility.
Mourning a healthy relationship with their mom, sister, daughter.
Mourning a broken family.
I learned the history of Mother's Day today. Anna Jarvis fought to get the holiday recognized nationally for the celebration of women and in honor of her own mother. In 1914 it became a national holiday on the second Sunday in May. By the 1920's Anna began protesting the very holiday she fought to institute.
In 1923 she filed a lawsuit to stop a Mother's Day festival, and was even arrested for disturbing the peace at a convention selling carnations for a war mother's group. She died blind and penniless in 1948 and was quoted saying,
"I wanted it to be a day of sentiment, not profit." She opposed the selling of flowers and also the use of greeting cards: "a poor excuse for the letter you are too lazy to write."

What was Anna mourning? The loss of her mother in 1905? The loss of  a "real"  holiday honoring women?
Infertility, as Anna never had children?

Today let's remember those who are mourning. If you know a woman or family who may be struggling with Mother's Day give them a call to just say "Hi" and that you are thinking of them today. Pray for surrounding of love and peace that surpasses all understanding for those struggling today.

                   "Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you"          -Luke 11:27

Comments

  1. Loved this Jen.
    My heart breaks today for Aubree (the rhok). She just lost her mother and I know today has to be really hard on her.

    Thanks for sharing the story behind Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen. I felt a hug by reading your message. Coming from someone who lost a mom, it was just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how I feel about Father's Day - since mine has been gone so long.
    Thanks for the reminder about Mother's Day and loss. The history lesson was great too!
    I kinda like the flowers and cards, though. ;)
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several friends in this position and my heart goes out to them on Mother's Day. I lost my dad, so Father's Day is hard, but I also try to think of the good times and honor him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part of mother's day has nothing to do with the flowers or gifts (I didn't get either). My favorite part is breakfast in bed...and my son joined me and ate all my pancakes, but I got a hug, kiss and an I love you. What more could I ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my mom and it is always so hard on mothers day. I thought that my MIL understood after our talk a couple of years ago, but she sent my SIL to send us texts trying to get us to come to church with her. I just can't handle seeing it and the hurt that comes with the loss. Thank you so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts