Grace for Grown-ups

I thought by age 40 I would know everything.
Ok maybe not EVERYTHING. I envisioned learning new hobbies such as knitting at this age, not life lessons.
I've come to realize I don't know it all at 40. Shocker.  Sigh...I know, I know.
I've become used to God's allowing me to be outmatched, outwitted, outplayed. This seems to be His way; putting regular me in circumstances that are beyond my own capabilities.
What are beyond my capabilities you ask? Being a wife (this "job" seems almost impossible), mother of 4, women's ministry, business...shoot - just being a believer is way beyond me.
God has a lot of  work with me.
I find solace in reading about Noah, Esther, Jonah and Paul. All were hand picked by God.
God purposefully put them in a situation beyond their control. He gave them the reminder of  their need to rely on and connect with Him.
Things that seem too big for me to handle keep me humble and more aware of my need for God.
Something I do know at age 40, there are things that are successful in my life despite me.
God could lighten my load. He could put me in a path void of mountains that need moving or problems that need solving. God could make sure nothing would cause me to feel overwhelmed.  God could do these things, but doing so would annul His primary purpose: to teach me to tap into divine power to accomplish divine purposes.
He constantly exposes my weakness so that I can see evidence of His power.
For instance today, I wanted to curl up in the fetal position and cry. Honestly, that's what I wanted to do and I seriously contemplated it for about 20 minutes. Do you ever feel it's all too much? Like if one more thing lands on your proverbial plate you will just lose it? That was me today. Despite my overwhelming anxiety, exhaustion and just plain ol' "I DON"T WANNA" virus I got a lot accomplished today.
God met my needs despite my feelings of  impossibility. He has enough grace to sustain not just me, but you too.
Grace for Grown ups. It's the kind of grace you and I need. It's the kind that God offers. Don't waste your time trying to get rid of your weakness, use it as an excuse or explain it away. Instead take a cue from Esther, Jonah, Noah or Paul. Move forward in confidence, boast in your weakness so that the power of Christ may be reflected in it and through it. Peter told us, "My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19
What has your weakness revealed to you? What has God allowed you to experience for the purpose of showing you and others His divine power operating through you?
"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness" 2 Cor 12:9

Check out Jonah-Navigating a Life Interrupted" by Priscilla Shirer for a deeper study into personal challenges.

Comments

  1. I love this post, Jen. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing talent in your writing and your message. thanks jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love Patricia Shirer! I will have to check this study out - thank you for sharing! I hope things are looking up for you! Remember God thinks you are one amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts