The RHOK McLinky Monday

The Real Housewives of OK are asking ...
What is your favorite food on the Thanksgiving table?
I'm thankful they asked for "food" plural vs.dish singular. Food is what Thanksgiving is all about. I mean the holiday is centered around thankful hearts for the bountiful harvests and survival at Plymouth Rock. I don't know about you, but I am going to give thanks for our bountiful plates and our family surviving the burbs for another year.
 The food is certainly bountiful at our family gatherings. My favorites are the mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey (dark meat), party potatoes, homemade rolls, green bean casserole...who am I kidding - if it's a carb, it's my fav. I also enjoy Pecan Pie for dessert. I don't eat Pumpkin Pie, however I do love Pumpkin Roll. It's the "roll" part that gets me.
So the girls over at the RHOK said to post a recipe if you have one. I think I'll post a few of my secrets for creating a special holiday.

Create a special activity for the kiddos
I like to have a simple art project that shares the message of Thanksgiving. Anything from coloring pages to turkeys. Check out Family Fun Magazine for cute ideas. It also keeps little hands busy before we eat!

Ask that everyone bring their favorite dish or two to share
It is tradition that you bring your "dish" to Thanksgiving dinner. We all have our staples that we bring each year. My sister brings green bean casserole and some corn casserole. I bring pecan pie, potatoes that Jason makes up and some sort of salad. My Grandmother makes the stuffing, veggies and various pies. My Dad always makes the ham and turkey. Then the "guests" bring their side dish to share. It's always fun to see and taste what they bring for dinner.

Make the table something special
We have place cards at every seat. Candles, linens, glassware, ect. Before we eat we pray and give thanks for our blessings. One blessing is to make sure the table is special place for all our guests to dine. It's a holiday! The kids have their table which we decorate just for them along with their place cards. They love it. 
Our Family Table 2008
 One of Three of my Hubby's Family Tables 2009

Ssshhh Ancient Family Secrets
My Grandmother is a southern cook. She has great hints for making recipes turn out just perfect. One is to add 1 T. Flour to your dry Pecan Pie ingredients. It makes your pie set-up perfect each time you bake!
My father also has a secret for his turkey, Reynolds Oven Cooking Bags. If you have not used one, do it, they are fail proof.
Here is my big secret to green bean casserole...Soy Sauce. Yep - no salt just soy. I know it sounds lame. I'm telling you my sister finally used my tip and now her casserole is a fav each year. 


So now it's your turn. 
Share your favorite Thanksgiving food and a recipe if you have one.
You don't have to be an Okie Wife to join in the fun.



The Rules:
1. Answer the question on your blog (or in the comments sections if you haven't a blog).

2. If you answer the question on your blog, add your name to comments and link back here so that we all can discover the brilliance that is your mind.

3. Grab our button from the sidebar (or above) and post it either in your reply post or on your blog.


4. Enjoy and have some fun!

Comments

  1. Great post, Jen! Great tips that I'll definitely try.

    I love that you all set up the tables so nicely. We eat off of chinette! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting tips. I will try them.
    I get so annoyed that we eat off of paper plates. I like to have the table set up for special occasions like this. It just makes it a little more fun for me.
    I also love the bring a dish thing. That's the way we do it with the big family reunion. It's just not the way it's done on Doc's side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such fun ideas, Jen!! I always set up a table for the little peeps. It's great to have something for them to do and to keep them busy. I'm a fan of setting a fancy table, but my family is not. They prefer Chinette. One of these days, I'll get to set a nice table and have a "big people" dinner...complete with place cards and the whole bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tips now if I could only bake a pie!
    I make garlic basil green beans for Thanksgiving I bet adding the sauce would be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! We do usually all bring a dish -unless it's at my MIL's -but, I usually bring green bean casserole and I do add a little soy sauce :) Yeah not all the time do we have a nice table with linens,glassware,etc. -My gma was the one who would go all out like that- but, not the past couple of years since she's getting pretty elderly. Oh and I also love carbs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is another tip Jen- my MIL chops up an apple in her cornbread dressing, it helps keep it moist! I just add more chicken broth, but an apple...who would have thought! Love your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips.. fabulous table settings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts