McLinky - Holiday Cookies

My girls over at the RHOK are wanting to hear our best holiday cookie recipes.
Well my Grandmother's both baked up a storm each Christmas making all sorts of yum-mee items.
I have two staple cookie recipes that wow the crowds and they are not from my Grandma's recipe book?!
I will share a couple of recipes similar to mine today...
Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies

Chewy, monster-sized oatmeal cookies stuffed with nuts and chocolate chips, enhanced with a hint of cinnamon.
Makes about 36
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (I do not use this ingredient)
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups butter (at room temperature)
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I also add Peanut Butter Chips)
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened flake coconut (I do not use this ingredient)
2 cups chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl. In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars; beat to combine, 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans. For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake for 17 to 19 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through. Remove cookies from rack to cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

NOTE: For 6 dozen (72) smaller cookies, use 2 tablespoons dough for each. Bake at 350 F for 15 to 18 minutes.
Snickerdoodles
Buttery cookie topped with cinnamon sugar.
Makes about 48
1 cup butter or shortening
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoons baking soda
cinnamon and sugar mixed to taste (about 1/4 cup sugar to 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon is a good mixture)
Preheat oven to 400F. Mix together butter and sugar until smooth, then add eggs, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Stir in flour until well mixed. Roll into balls about 1" in diameter and roll in cinnamon and sugar to coat. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake 8-10 minutes. Cookies are done when they are just barely browning.
Ok, now I am totally craving these cookies. We will have to add this to the list for Christmas Break activities.

Remember how to play MckLinky? Here are the rules...
1. Answer the question on your blog (or in the comments sections if you haven't a blog).
2. If you answer the question on your blog, comment here and add your name and direct link to the MckLinky.
3. Grab our button from the sidebar and post it either in your reply post or on your blog.
4. Follow my blog and the RHOK if you don't already.
5. Be sure to visit some or all of the blogs who link up and share some comment love.
6. Enjoy and have some fun!

The RHOK

Comments

  1. I LOVE snickerdoodles. I have never heard of the cowboy cookies. I would love to try to make those. I love cinnamon on everything. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my yum!! Another recipe I need to try for the holidays:)
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore snickerdoodles and have NEVER EVER made them before...can you believe it. Now I don't have an excuse because you just posted your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMMMmmmm. Those Cowboy Cookies sound really really yummy!! I love snikerdoodles too. I think I actually have all of those ingredients on hand. Maybe I'll get some time to bake soon. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  5. How'd I miss you on cookie day? I'm never going to have time to make all these! But it'll be fun trying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts