Save the Drama



With so much texting, Facebook and IMing going on these days, it is a little too easy to get offended by what others say.  I once took a communications class in STATE College (no comments on "the" university please) that taught a person could derive six different meanings out this six-word written sentence:


"Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart." 

So here are the different meanings one could assume:

1. Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart.   
    (Sarah is usually frugal, and doesn't buy anything.)

2. Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart.  
    (Sarah bought a dress instead of stealing one?)

3. Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart.   
    (Sarah only bought a dress and not ten?)

4. Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart.  
    (Sarah bought a dress instead of shorts and flip flops?)

5. Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart.
    (Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart instead of online?)

6. Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart. 
    (Sarah bought a dress at Wal-Mart? Is is cute? Seriously?!)

Do you see how something so simple can become so confusing when you can't hear which words are being stressed?

I am not going to say this has never happened with me.  I have jumped to conclusions by reading into something that wasn't really implied at all.  People have done the same with things I have written.  For me, speaking out loud generally takes away most of the confusion. I said generally people.  
You can never really know what is going on in someone else's head.  I can never convey to you exactly what I'm thinking.  It's impossible.  We all come from different backgrounds, lives, communities and look at the world in completely different ways. You may be blessed with a spouse or best friend who knows exactly where you're coming from, but it's not a common thing (in my experience).

So, the next time you read a text, Facebook comment, or IM that rubs you the wrong way, take a minute to try to figure out where the other person is coming from or if you are taking it out of context. If you still have questions, ask them directly
It might save a lot of drama.
Verses that might save you some drama:

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless James 1:26
Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for him  Proverbs 29:20
The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil Proverbs 15:28

The information in this blog is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. This weblog does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my family or other blogs in which I contribute. It is solely my opinion. The use of the name "Sarah" was sort of random, however it does not represent any real person named "Sarah" that I may or may not know in real life or on Facebook. Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please.

Comments

  1. Oh, God. It wasn't one of mine that gave offense, was it?

    I always worry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! This is important to always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points! Things sure can be taken all kinds of ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohy LOL. Bwahahhaahaha I may still have a FB if u had posted this sooner. Haha I love it!! Coming to u via my phone. Sorry 4 typos.issued I 2day on home tour!! xxoo sweet dre friend. I may narrow that one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like drama. In fact, I encourage it. I usually try to start random gossip just to make people think I'm talking about them.

    What? You don't do this?

    BTW, there is only one University worthy of conversations on blogger and it's not the one that you attended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! When Chris & I were engaged I was very sarcastic. Our main form of communication at that time was e-mail (neither of us liked talking on the phone) and I learned the hard way that sarcasm doesn't always come through when it's in print. Oops! In addition to being dead on with this post, it's just plain fun to emphasize different words and see what you end up with. :)
    ~Keri Cochran

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts