5 Ways to Stop Weight Gain While Snowed In



Remember your freshman year of college and everyone talked about gaining the freshman ten? You know those ten pounds freshmen tend to put on their first year away at school?  Well I'm thinking I've got to do something or I'm going to gain the Snow Ten. Ten pounds from being snowed in the house for days on end!!
We have been eating Chili, PW's Chicken Spaghetti, Iced Sugar Cookies, Chips and the list goes on. You notice there was a not a fruit or veggie near that list. 

Since so many seem to be snowed in this week I thought I would share info I've found on avoiding weight gain during snow days:

1. Avoid grazing on whatever is in front of you all day long. It is tempting since you are stuck inside. Try to stick to your nutritional plan with healthy food choices such as cheese, almonds, lean proteins or yogurt. 


2. Get out and play with the kids. Whether it is sledding or just going outside and playing in the snow, this will prevent you from eating and burn some calories. The kids usually love it when their parents come out during snow storms, too! 


3. Shovel snow. First, if you have any heart issues or other health problems, I do not recommend as it can be very hard on your heart. Based on your weight, you can easily burn between 200-300 calories from 30 minutes of shoveling snow. You can go out a few times a day and shovel to boost your calorie burn and clear your driveway or sidewalk at the same time. 


4. Stay out of the kitchen. The more times you go to your kitchen you are more likely to eat something because you are bored and just looking for something to eat. Instead, read a book, , do laundry, or Dance Party II for the Wii : )


5. Drink water. Keep a glass of ice cold water next to you all day so you stay hydrated and it will also help to keep you from munching all day. Plus it keeps your skin hydrated & healthy.



Remember to enjoy the moment. Put on some music, turn off the tv and relax and enjoy the snow. I know it can cause frustration as it can alter your daily routine but you can’t do anything about so why not just enjoy it! 

Are you avoiding gaining the "Snow Ten"?

Comments

  1. I'm doing my best. I think I'm at +5 right now. lol
    But, it's been some good eating. I've cooked this much in a long time.

    We haven't snacked a whole lot though. It's a good thing too or I'd have to add another +5!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late... I think I have already gained it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Too late. I'm waaaaaay too many pizza slices, cookies, candies, and snow ice cream bowls in now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tips! I;ll save them to see if it ever snows here...LOL...been like 20 years HAHAHAHA

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was on a mission to loose 10 pounds pre snowopolis! I can't bake since I have no oven but I am getting creative with my microwave and toaster oven. I have been working out with dvd's everyday. I did go outside yesterday for about an hour but didn't do much. If only I had an oven!!!! Love your blogs, keep it comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!! I have been laid up with a fractured ankle and this has been a perfect time to lean on God so I do not turn to food in the midst of my circumstance. I am very thankful for Made to Crave bc it has changed my perspective on food & need. I pray the snow begins to melt away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well... no snow in south Alabama! Ya'll should come visit! It's supposed to be in the upper 50's by the weekend! And to think it was in the 70's last week.. Oh, how I hate weather.. =) Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sound advice. Shoveling snow sounds fun, too. I wish we got a bunch just so I could lose a few pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had food to eat, I would probably be at +10. However, it's waaaay too cold to go play in that stuff with a 13 month old so we're improvising around here. In fact, I lost a little weight since last Thursday (and I even drank the Captain Friday and Saturday!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I love to bake on snow days! Fortunately, I am unable so it won't be a problem. Last year I made so much crap that I gained a bunch of weight.
    Hope you guys are having fun in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips, Jen! I need to get out of the house and stop thinking of what my next meal will be...that's all I do is think of what I can cook or bake next. Hopefully, we'll thaw out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips.....snow 10...that says a bunch.
    Spring is on the way!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts