Escape Routes

I receive a devo written for homeschooling. It's a good reminder of when you smell smoke, spiritually speaking, there's a fire ; )

"The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations" (2 Peter 2:9a).

From the time my children were old enough to understand, fire drills were part of our homeschool safety lessons. Sounding the smoke alarm, I instructed each child how to escape in the event of a house fire. My children always thought it was great fun to climb out their bedroom window and meet outside at our flag pole. In fact, they each learned their escape routes so well, it only took a matter of seconds to vacate the house.

Are you interested in a printed version of this devotional? Then check out the new Daily Focus devotional book, perfect for your own Bible study or as a gift. Order your copy today!

As my children grew into their teens, I realized they faced another danger as hazardous as fire - peer pressure. Knowing they needed an escape route to walk away from ungodly temptations, I said, "Whenever you find yourself in a bad situation and you need to get out, you can use me for an excuse. Don't let others lead you into sin or just sit there and get burned. Get out as soon as you smell the smoke and say, ‘I have to go home early tonight,' or ‘My parents need help at home.'"

God also provides an escape route when Satan tempts His children. Knowing we are not able to say "No" in our own strength, God makes a way for us to run from evil before it consumes us. Whether we struggle with procrastination, discouragement, or impure thoughts, 1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." Let the Lord reveal your personal escape route from the temptation you're facing today, and then get out as fast as you can!

Father, my flesh is weak and sin's desires seem so appealing. Help me walk in obedience to Your Word and show me the way to escape the temptations that are causing me to sin against You. In the mighty name of Jesus, Amen.

Comments

  1. Oh, this was very good! Thanks for sharing it.

    Did you all go out of town over the weekend? Missed seeing you around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great. I love what you wrote. I will miss seeing you all tomorrow. I get to go see Dr. N. for a check up. Oh joy!!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved you post. My kids know the fire drill. When I was little we lost our house to fire and that is one of my biggest fears for my kids to ever have to go through that. So, I'm always letting them know about fires and what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe she tried to get out of her crib. He must have talked to her somehow! lol
    Actually we just moved him to a toddler bed and he loves it. He thinks he is a big boy and since he was already climbing in and out of the crib this is much safer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts