Okie Top Ten


In honor of my home state's birthday I would like to post my Top Ten Favs about Oklahoma!
Here's a little history about my great state...
Once called Indian Territory because it was home to the five "civilized" tribes, Oklahoma was one of the last states to join the United States (1907). In the summer of 1905, the principal chiefs of four of the Five Civilized Tribes united in issuing a call for a constitutional convention to meet at Muskogee, on August 21, for the purpose of forming a constitution of a state to be composed of the Indian Territory. It finally became the 46th state on November 16, 1907. 
Statehood had become a sure thing, in part due to a discovery which made Oklahoma the "place to go to strike it rich" -- oil. People came from all parts of the world to seek their fortunes in Oklahoma's teeming oil fields. Cities like Tulsa, Ponca City, Bartlesville and Oklahoma City flourished.
Oklahomans are filled with pride for their land of diverse cultures, hundreds of scenic lakes and rivers, and genuine warmth and friendliness. This proud Oklahoma spirit is echoed through the accomplishments of our citizens, such as humorist and "Cherokee Cowboy" Will Rogers, Olympian and American Indian athlete Jim Thorpe, Dr. Phil, Ron Howard, Chuck Norris, James Garner, Kristen Chenowith, Megan Mullally, African American author Ralph Ellison, astronaut Thomas Stafford, jazz musician Charlie Christian, and country music superstars Reba McEntire, Vince Gill, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, Rascall Flatts Lead Singer Jo Don & many more!!!


My Top Ten Okie Favs...
1. My family & life-long friends live in the state
2. It is smack dab in the middle of the "Biblebelt"

3. Saying "Yes Mam", no matter what your age, is expected

4. People say "ya'll"
5. People wave & smile when they drive by on the street
6. Sport Scores are more important than the Dow Jones "scores"
7. Eating meat, butter, salt is not a crime
8. While in London, people asked me to sing "Oklahoma" once they found out I was an Okie

9. You can only buy 3.2 beer in the grocery store, affectionately known as "near beer"

10. 1 out 5 men carry a concealed gun...with a permit of course ; )


What's your favorite thing about Oklahoma? Remember, Oklahoma is OK ! LOL!!!

Comments

  1. LOL! I loved this!

    Of course, some of my favorites you listed. I love that we live in the Bible belt.

    I love that we are a tad 'slower paced' than the e. or w. coasts.

    And, it's pretty darn cool to see a horse and buggy on a highway! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! All of those would be on my OK Top 10 too, except for the London one b/c I've never been. =) I think one of my fav things is that we're central and it seems pretty easy to get just about anywhere in the US. I also love that we get to experience every season.

    I'm so glad you're coming to my New Moon party!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment love makes a happy heart!
Please ensure your email is enabled so that I can reply to your comment :)

Popular Posts